We've redesigned our website, please let us know what you think.

IU football Jamar Johnson earns Big Ten Co-Defensive Player of the Week Honors

<p>Senior defensive lineman Michael Ziemba and junior defensive back Jamar Johnson tackle Penn State freshman running back Keyvone Lee on Oct. 24 in Memorial Stadium.</p>

Senior defensive lineman Michael Ziemba and junior defensive back Jamar Johnson tackle Penn State freshman running back Keyvone Lee on Oct. 24 in Memorial Stadium.

Following IU football’s 36-35 overtime win over Penn State, the Big Ten announced Monday junior defensive back Jamar Johnson was named Big Ten Co-Defensive Player of the Week. He shares the honor with Rutgers senior linebacker Olakunle Fatukasi. 

It is the first Big Ten honor in Johnson’s career. 

Johnson recorded a career-high 10 total tackles against the Nittany Lions on Saturday. He also accounted for two first-half takeaways, including an interception that set up a touchdown for IU and a forced fumble while Penn State was inside the IU 10-yard line. 

It was the first time Johnson recorded a game with multiple takeaways in his career. He has also logged an interception in each of his last three games. 

IU is now ranked No. 17 in the AP Poll, its highest ranking since 1993. The team will travel to Piscataway, New Jersey, next Saturday to play Rutgers.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.

Comments