crime & courts

Former IU football player arrested Tuesday on rape, battery charges

A former IU football player was arrested Tuesday morning on four felony charges including alleged rape and aggravated battery, Bloomington Police Department Sgt. Dana Cole said.

The police responded to a call Monday night from the woman’s roommate around 9 p.m., Cole said. The roommate said Wesley Green, 25, and the woman had been fighting. Green was not at the scene when police arrived.

The woman reported Green raped her and then struck her in the face and head multiple times, which caused injuries, including a fractured eye socket and a brain bleed, police said. She was taken to the IU Health Bloomington Hospital for assessment Monday and was later transported via LifeLine ambulance to IU Health Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis due to the seriousness of her injuries. 

Investigators were able to locate Green after he called the woman Tuesday morning. They found him at the 2500 block of East Third Street, Cole said. After a short foot pursuit, the police arrested Green. 

Green was an IU football player and was suspended indefinitely in 2016. Green was also arrested in 2018 on charges of misdemeanor domestic battery.

He was booked into jail on the preliminary charges of rape, domestic battery, aggravated battery and resisting law enforcement.

A police officer was injured during the foot pursuit after being hit in the leg by a car backing out of a parking lot.

This story will be updated.

If you or someone you know is a survivor of sexual assault or rape, there are resources to help. The Division of Student Affairs offers confidential support. To speak to a confidential victim advocate, call 812-856-2469 or email cva@indiana.edu. For more resources in Bloomington, click here. Call 911 in an emergency.