IU football suspends six student-athletes

Wide receiver Simmie Cobbs, Jr. runs down and attempts to pass Purdue safety Leroy Clark on Nov  28, 2015 at Ross-Ade Stadium. The Hoosiers won 54-36.

IU football announced the suspension of six players tonight.

Junior receiver Simmie Cobbs Jr., senior defensive lineman Ralph Green III, junior defensive backs Chase Dutra and Noel Padmore and freshman defensive back Jake Attar are suspended for IU’s season opener against FIU. Sophomore cornerback Wesley Green is suspended indefinitely.

“The Indiana football program announced that Jake Attar, Simmie Cobbs Jr., Chase Dutra, Ralph Green III and Noel Padmore will each serve a one-game suspension for tonight’s game at Florida International for not living up to their responsibilities to the program at different times since the conclusion of the 2015 season,” the IU football program said in a statement. “Wesley Green is also suspended for tonight’s game. His suspension is indefinite.”

Cobbs was poised to be one of junior quarterback Richard Lagow’s main targets in Lagow’s IU debut. Cobbs had more than 1,000 receiving yards in 2015.

Ralph Green III was set to be a starter on IU’s defensive line, as was Dutra in the secondary. Wesley Green transferred from South Carolina and sat out last season due to transfer rules, but was not listed on IU’s most recent two-deep depth chart.

Padmore appeared in all 13 games last season, while Attar redshirted in 2015 after walking on to the program.

Jordan Guskey