5 former Hoosiers make initial roster for 2020 MLB season

spiubaseschwarberbrief070120

Kyle Schwarber bunts during a Chicago Cubs practice. Schwarber was the fourth overall pick in the 2014 Major League Baseball draft. Tribune News Service

With the 2020 Major League Baseball season set to premiere July 23, many MLB teams have announced their initial rosters of up to 60 players over the last few days. So far, five Hoosiers have made the cut, according to a Wednesday press release by IU Athletics.

Former Hoosier and outfielder Kyle Schwarber, the fourth overall draft pick in 2014, is on the roster for the Chicago Cubs. Catcher Josh Phegley, a 2009 first-round draft pick, will join him on the Cubs after being traded this year by the Oakland Athletics.

Outfielder Alex Dickerson, the 2010 Big Ten Player of the Year, made the initial lineup for the San Francisco Giants. Pitcher Kyle Hart, who played for IU until 2016, made the cut for the Boston Red Sox, and pitcher Aaron Slegers, drafted in 2013, joined the Tampa Bay Rays' roster.

Many teams still have room for additional players on their initial rosters. Former IU players Caleb Baragar and Ryan Halstead, both Giants pitchers, can still make the 60-person player pool.

The 60-person player list includes a 40-person roster and a 20-person “taxi squad” to join practices. Anyone not on the initial roster is not allowed to attend the summer training camp.

An active roster of 30 players will be selected from the initial player pool to start the season.

The 60-person player pool is unique to the 2020 season. In the 2019 season, an active roster contained 25 players, and an expanded roster contained 40 players.

More in Sports