administration

IU to reimburse for spring parking costs, adds 4 more credit hours to limit

news filler.jpg

In IU’s latest update email sent Friday, the university announced it is partially reimbursing students for parking pass expenses for the spring semester and adding four more credit hours to the school year limit.

The amount of money reimbursed to students for their parking passes will be figured from multiplying the daily rate of the permit by the number of days remaining in the spring semester after March 20, the day IU President Michael McRobbie told students to leave campus. 

The type of parking pass students bought will determine how much money they get back, according to the email. The credit will be put on students’ bursar accounts. If students want an immediate refund, they can fill out a form.

IU extended the limit of 36 credit hours to 40 for the 2020-21 academic year to allow students to take advantage of the winter session and still pay a flat rate for tuition, according to the email. The seven-week winter session goes from Dec. 21 to Feb. 7 and has a one-week break from Dec. 27 to Jan. 3. The email said students can spread out the 40 credit hours in any way they want across the three terms, with any unused hours in one term rolling over to the next term.

The email also said the distance education fee will only be charged to students who are in completely online degree programs. Students who are taking courses online that would normally be in person due to COVID-19 will not have to pay the fee.

Students living in dorms this fall will receive their housing and roommate assignments, if they applied for a roommate, during the week of July 13, according to the email.