sports rowing

IU rowers earn All-American nominations, scholar athlete awards

IU ROWING

Two IU women’s rowing members were listed as College Rowing Coaches Association All-American nominees and eight IU rowers were listed for the scholar athletea award, the CRCA announced Monday.

Senior Abigail Bogovich and junior Jordan Miller earned All-American nominations. Bogovich was a second team All-American last year.

“It was disappointing that the season didn’t play out as expected," Bogovich said. "But it’s still an honor to be recognized.”

Both Miller and Bogovich will be both returning to the team next year.

Scholar athlete award recipients from IU include sophomore Libby Brown, junior Nicole Conway, senior Antonia Frappell, sophomore Ruby Leverington, senior Liz Saunders, sophomore Kaylynn Scher, senior Paige Spiller and sophomore Victoria Vicory.

Scholar athlete award recipients in 2020 were required to be in their second, third or fourth year of eligibility and to obtain a 3.5 cumulative GPA or higher in their career. They were also required to rank in the top 50% in either their team’s performance or in the “NCAA Squad" depending on which of the two is smaller, according to the website.

The team finished the season with a 3.707 combined average GPA with 11 team members posting a 4.0 GPA.

“We had the highest team GPA that the team’s had in a long time this season,” Spiller said. “It’s awesome to see.”

Bogovich said the team is conducting Zoom meetings to stay motivated, set goals and conduct individual workouts throughout the summer.

“We're staying ambitious for next year,” Bogovich said. 

In the 2018-19 season, IU women’s rowing placed fifth in the Big Ten Championships and 12th in NCAA championships. The IU rowing team appeared in the NCAA rowing championships for six straight years prior to 2020.