bloomington

Black Lives Matter B-Town to have Juneteenth celebration Friday

news filler.jpg

Black Lives Matter B-Town will have a Juneteenth celebration from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. Friday in Rev. Ernest D Butler Park. Juneteenth, marked annually June 19, commemorates the emancipation of enslaved people in Texas in 1865, over two and a half years after the Emancipation Proclamation went into effect. 

BLM council members described the Juneteenth celebration as for, by, and about Black people, though the entire community is invited. They said this was in contrast to the protests, which are intended to force white people to recognize the continued oppression of Black people. 

This is BLM B-Town’s second Juneteenth celebration, and it will feature free food, speeches, poetry, drag performances and music. 

Performers will include two student poets, Taylor "Just Duléa" Duckett, a doctoral student at IU’s Department of African American and African Diaspora Studies and Adrianne Embry, a senior in IU’s Department of Theatre, Drama, and Contemporary Dance.

Other performers include Bloomington drag performer and Beyoncé impersonator Mocha Debeaute, Indianapolis drag performers Tia Mirage Hall and Pat Yo Weave, Indianapolis singer-songwriter Allison Victoria, Prince tribute band Royalty and Bloomington DJ and IU alumnus Darren “DMOSE” Mosely.

Food options will include fish, chicken wings, various sides, veggie options, dessert, snacks and drinks, including what the BLM website describes as traditional Juneteenth food, such as strawberry soda, red velvet cake and watermelon.

A BLM representative said white people should encourage their Black friends to attend the event, and if they don’t have Black friends, they should go out and make some.

Visit the BLM B-Town website for more information and to register to receive free food and drink. Masks and social distancing are required to attend.