crime & courts bloomington

Women’s Care Center, parking meters found vandalized Monday

Several buildings and parking meters were found vandalized with spray paint Monday morning, according to Bloomington Police Department Capt. Ryan Pedigo in an email Tuesday.

Pedigo said parking enforcement officers found 107 parking meters covered with orange and blue spray paint. The solar panels which power the meters were painted over in the act. The total cost to clean the meters was about $725.

Pedigo said vandals painted the meters sometime after Saturday evening. Vandalized meters were found on the 200 block of West Kirkwood Avenue, the 100 block of South College Avenue and South Walnut Street, the 300 block of West Sixth Street, the 400 block of West Seventh Street and the 200 to 400 blocks of North Morton Street.

Several other buildings were also spray painted, including the Women's Care Center on South College Avenue.

The words “stay away” and “fuck y’all” were painted on the front of the building with other symbols. 

Pedigo said the colors of the spray paint matched the paint used in the vandalism of the parking meters. Officers also determined the time frame of the center’s vandalism matched the time frame of the vandalized parking meters.

The case is still active. Investigators are reviewing surveillance footage from downtown businesses.