We've redesigned our website, please let us know what you think.

Former IU men’s soccer players named to MLS top prospects list

<p>The team celebrates sophomore Jack Maher’s, second from left, game-winning double overtime goal against the University of California, Los Angeles on Sept. 2 at Bill Armstrong Stadium. Maher’s golden goal was his first goal of the 2019 season.</p>

The team celebrates sophomore Jack Maher’s, second from left, game-winning double overtime goal against the University of California, Los Angeles on Sept. 2 at Bill Armstrong Stadium. Maher’s golden goal was his first goal of the 2019 season.

Three former IU men’s soccer players were named to Major League Soccer’s 22 best players under 22-years-old by MLS writer Matthew Doyle.

Jack Maher, Justin Rennicks and Mason Toye each made the list.

Maher, who played at IU for two seasons, was recognized as the Big Ten freshman of the year in 2018 and was selected to the College Soccer News All-Freshman first team. In Maher’s sophomore year, he was selected as a second team All-American by the United Soccer Coaches NCAA Division I and was the Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year.

Maher was selected second overall in the 2020 MLS SuperDraft by Nashville SC.

Rennicks played for IU in 2017 and 2018 before signing with the New England Revolution. He appeared in nine games off of the bench as a freshman before starting all 20 of his appearances as a sophomore in 2018. He was named to the All-Big Ten second team.

Toye was selected seventh overall in the 2018 MLS SuperDraft by Minnesota United FC after being named Big Ten Freshman of the Year in 2017. He has played 34 games for Minnesota United, including 11 starts.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.

Comments