news   |   business & economy   |   indiana

Duke Energy warns Indiana customers about potential scam phone calls

cadukebrief052820

An envelope from Duke Energy lays on a kitchen island in Bloomington. Scam calls have increased since the company made a coronavirus pandemic-related announcement. Sam House

Duke Energy Indiana is warning customers about receiving scam phone calls. Since the company announced it isn't disconnecting power due to nonpayment because of the pandemic, the company has seen an increase in reports of phone scams.

These scams often are a person or an automated system calling a Duke Energy Indiana customer and demanding they pay a certain amount of money, buy gift cards or prepaid debit cards or immediately lose their power. 

The company has even reported scammers replicating the Duke Energy automated response system.

“The best way to defend yourself against these scammers is to recognize how the scam works and understand that Duke Energy never asks customers for prepaid debit cards,” said Duke Energy Indiana President Stan Pinegar.

The company is still not disconnecting power due to nonpayment, and if a customer was to receive a shut-off notice, they would receive it with their monthly bill, not within an hour or so, as the phone scammers say.

Duke Energy Indiana recommends customers call law enforcement if they feel threatened by potential scammers and report the situation to Duke Energy.

More in News