student life

IU LGBTQ GroupMe created for students to stay connected during quarantine

Cagroupme040520.jpg

What started as an idea to keep IU's LGBTQ students connected while on-campus has now become a way for students to stay connected at home. 

IU sophomore Thomas Rainbolt first approached Bruce Smail, IU LGBTQ+ Culture Center interim director, before spring break with the idea to create a GroupMe for members of the center to be more connected. Smail had planned to have a meeting and discuss the details of the GroupMe after getting back from break.

When everything on campus became virtual due to the coronavirus pandemic, Rainbolt decided to reach out to Smail again to get the GroupMe started as soon as possible.

“We really needed this when there were people on campus,” Rainbolt said. “We absolutely need it when there's no one on campus.”

The GroupMe began with only a few membersbut then took off after being announced on the LGTBQ+ Cultural Center QNews email and other social media platforms.

“That day that they sent out the email there were just tons of people joining,” Rainbolt said. “You’d see five people join at the same time and then a little later some more people joined. It was greatly surprising.” 

The GroupMe had 146 members as of Sunday. The interactions have all been positive and helpful during the stressful time, with people sending pictures of pets, online games to play and encouraging messages, Smail said. 

“We are trying to create opportunities for people to balance the stay-at-home that we’re all under as well as trying to be students and trying to have some sense of normalcy in a very unpredictable space,” Smail said. 

Mara Bernstein, a member of the LGBTQ+ Alumni Association Board of Directors, said it’s been nice to have a space where members can be open, honest and true to themselves. She said she shares ways to help students in the GroupMe but also shares her own feelings and connects with students in the group.

“As an alumni, as an employee, I love seeing students do their student thing and figure stuff out with each other and themselves and create some kind of positivity out of this very weird, unfortunate pandemic,” Bernstein said. 

Student can join the LGBTQ+ Community GroupMe here