bloomington coronavirus

First COVID-19 death reported in Monroe County

coronavirusfiller

The Monroe County Department of Health confirmed the county's first death related to COVID-19 Saturday night, according to a press release.

The patient, who was older than 70, died Saturday night at the IU Health Bloomington Hospital, according to the release.

“It is with a heavy heart that we report the death of a resident due to COVID-19,” MCHD administrator Penny Caudill said in the release. “It is a solemn reminder of how serious this virus is and why we must remain diligent in our efforts to slow the spread.”

COVID-19 can be spread from coughing and sneezing in the air, touching or shaking hands or touching infected surfaces then touching your face, according to the release. The best way to protect yourself is to wash your hands, avoid touching your face and avoid close contact with people who are sick or showing symptoms.

As of Sunday, the Indiana State Department of Health has confirmed 83 cases of COVID-19 in Monroe County out of 555 tests completed, according to the ISDH website. Indiana has confirmed 7,928 cases in total with 343 deaths reported.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with this family and all families in our communities, state and nation who are facing difficulties during these unprecedented times,” said Brian Shockney, president of IU Health South Central Region, in the release. “As healthcare providers, this is not the outcome we had hoped for, but we are grateful for the compassionate care our team members displayed in regard to this case."