bloomington coronavirus

UPDATE: Bloomington’s First Lady Dawn Johnsen tests positive for COVID-19

cafirstlady041020

Updated at 9:07 p.m. April 22.

Bloomington's First Lady Dawn Johnsen has returned home after spending 10 days in the IU Health Bloomington Hospital due to the coronavirus, Mayor John Hamilton said during a City Council videoconference Wednesday night.

Johnsen, who is a Maurer School of Law professor, tested positive for COVID-19 on April 9, according to a press release from the City of Bloomington.

Johnsen reportedly began self-quarantining in her home when she started experiencing symptoms.

“Dawn and I are so grateful for the good wishes of so many, and we will follow the health protocols that help keep each other and our community safe,” Hamilton said in the release.

Hamilton has remained self-isolated since Johnsen’s diagnosis and will continue for the 14 days recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. He said he will monitor himself for symptoms of the virus as he works from home and helps Johnsen recover.

Hamilton has been practicing social distancing and working from home since mid-March. 

Two other city employees have tested positive for COVID-19 since March 28. The first employee, a member of the Fire Department, has made a full recovery, and the second, who works in the Parks and Recreation Department, continues to improve, according to the release.