sports coronavirus

NCAA cancels March Madness, Big Ten cancels all spring sports

NCAA brief.jpg

The college sports year is over.

The NCAA made the decision Thursday to cancel March Madness along with all spring and winter championships, according to a release. The NCAA Tournament has been played every year since 1939.

The Big Ten followed shortly after with a statement announcing the cancellation of all athletic events through the end of the academic year and those such as baseball and softball that continue after. 

IU softball is scheduled to complete its games Thursday. The games will be the final contests on the IU athletic calendar. 

This decision for the NCAA Tournament comes in the wake of every major conference canceling its conference tournament due to the coronavirus pandemic. 

IU men’s basketball played Wednesday night in the Big Ten Tournament. At the time, it would have been the team's last game in front of fans for the week, but it ended up being the last game of the tournament. 

IU’s Wednesday win over Nebraska put the team at 20-12 overall this season. This is the first time IU has won 20 games since the 2015-16 season, the last time it went to the NCAA Tournament. It appeared IU would make a return to March Madness this season. 

Seniors Devonte Green and De’Ron Davis will graduate having played four years without making the NCAA Tournament. They are the first such class since the 1971-72 season, Bob Knight’s first year as IU head coach. 

The IU women’s basketball team just completed its best regular season in team history and were in the conversation to be among the host teams. Senior Brenna Wise will graduate without getting a chance to make a postseason run.