Mike Birbiglia performs comedy act via Instagram to raise funds for the Comedy Attic

entMikeBirbigliastory032220.jpg

Comedian and actor Mike Birbiglia was supposed to visit Bloomington to perform March 18-21. The shows were rescheduled due to the coronavirus outbreak.

The World Health Organization and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention stated people shouldn’t gather in groups of 10 or more people. Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb said bars and restaurants should close any in-house dining and can only provide take-out or delivery services until the end of March.

Birbiglia organized a fundraising event to tip each staff member at the Comedy Attic $300. The funds are for lost tips due to the shutdown. He named the fundraising event, "Tip Your Waitstaff: Bloomington Comedy Attic."

Birbiglia has performed across the world from the Sydney Opera House to Broadway. His stand-up specials “My Girlfriend’s Boyfriend” and “Thank God For Jokes" are featured on Netflix.

Birbiglia went live on Instagram 2 p.m., Thursday with comedian Roy Wood Jr.

“Be safe,” Birbiglia said. “Please tip your waitstaff.”

Comedy Attic owner Jared Thompson said the venue is closed and won't be opened until further notice.

"We’re terrified that things aren’t coming back to normal any time soon," Thompson said.

The fundraiser raised $2,910, surpassing its $2,700 goal.

“That fundraiser could be the only income my staff gets for a really long time,” Thompson said.