student life coronavirus

IU email outlines updated policies for spring break, international travel

coronavirusfiller

IU warned students of the risks and possible consequences of traveling outside of the United States amid the ongoing global coronavirus outbreak in a March 4 public safety advisory sent in an email. 

Anyone traveling to China, Iran, Italy, Japan or South Korea must self-quarantine off campus for 14 days when they return to the U.S., according to the advisory. It warned that more countries could be added to the list at any time. 

The required self-quarantine period applies to all visitors who come to IU campuses from these countries, regardless of why or how long they’re visiting.

IU has already suspended its China flagship program, gave students studying in Italy the option to leave the country and restricted travel to China, Iran, Italy and South Korea.

Spring break officially starts March 15. Those who travel outside of the U.S. are asked to complete the IU Traveler Information Form, which will help the university locate people if there are changes to travel restrictions.

IU said it will work with faculty to help students who can’t attend class by creating alternate academic plans to complete courses and degrees, according to the advisory.

There have been more than 95,100 cases of coronavirus worldwide and at least 3,249 deaths as of Wednesday evening, according to the New York Times. According to the Washington Post, there have been more than 150 cases of the virus and 11 deaths in the U.S.

According to the advisory, those required to self-quarantine will not be allowed to return to IU housing, offices or campus. IU and local hospitals don’t have the capacity to provide space for those who need to self-quarantine. People must return to their permanent residences or make other arrangements. The university said it can’t provide alternate housing during the self-quarantine period.

No cases of coronavirus have been reported in Indiana, according to the CDC. 

IU’s public safety advisory had no information on the risks or possible consequences of traveling to states within the U.S. with confirmed cases of Coronavirus. As of Wednesday evening, cases of the virus have been reported in Washington state, Oregon, California, Arizona, Wisconsin, Illinois, Georgia, Florida, North Carolina, New York, New Hampshire, Massachusetts and Rhode Island, according to the CDC.