RECAP: IU men’s basketball drops third straight game in road loss to Ohio State

spiubbrecap020120.jpg

COLUMBUS, Ohio — For the fifth time this season, IU men’s basketball struggled or lost in a Big Ten road game. IU couldn’t overcome poor shooting and turnovers and fell to Ohio State on Saturday, 68-59.

It’s the third straight loss for the Hoosiers as they move to 15-7 overall and 5-6 in Big Ten play.

In the first half, IU went on two scoring droughts. The first one spanned six and a half minutes, the minutes saw IU turn a one-point lead into a six-point deficit. The Hoosiers then ended the first half without a made field goal in the final 5:03 minutes. 

The 19 points would’ve been the lowest scored by IU in a half this season if it wasn’t for senior guard Devonte Green making a buzzer-beating 3-pointer to bring the total to 22 points. Ohio State shot 2-12 from the field to end the first half, but IU couldn’t capitalize on the opportunity to go on a run.

To start the second half, sophomore guard Rob Phinisee made a 3-pointer, keeping the deficit in single digits. Every time IU provided something positive offensively, Ohio State found a way to answer. Even when the Hoosiers would get defensive stops, they couldn’t convert on the opposite end to cut the deficit.

Junior center Joey Brunk was matched up with Ohio State junior forward Kaleb Wesson most of the game and couldn’t keep up. Wesson shot 7-12 from the field to lead the Buckeyes with 15 points. 

Ohio State eventually pulled away in the second half behind a 7-0 run that lasted more than three minutes. The Hoosiers also had four turnovers in less than 3:30 minutes as the Buckeyes widened the gap. 

IU will get a week off as its next game will be when in-state rival Purdue comes to Bloomington on Feb. 8.