sports golf

Rain shortens IU men’s golf’s tournament in Puerto Rico

Spiumgrecap022520.jpeg

IU men’s golf finished tied for 11th after rain forced the Dorado Beach Collegiate to end early Sunday.

IU shot four over par in the first round Sunday. The weather forced the cancellation of Monday and Tuesday's rounds, ending the tournament with all teams only having played 18 holes. 

The University of Louisville won the tournament by shooting 19 strokes under par. 

IU tied with Georgia State University. The team finished two strokes behind the University of Notre Dame, the No. 6 team in the country, according to Golfstat.

The tournament was the first for IU in Puerto Rico since 2005 when it finished tied for fourth.

Junior Ethan Shepard led IU shooting one under par and tied for 26th overall. It was his second top-30 finish of the season, following his tie for ninth in the Steelwood Collegiate at the end of the fall season.

Senior Brock Ochsenreiter finished second for IU and tied for 33rd overall, shooting even par. Senior Evan Gaesser tied for 33rd overall, but competed as an individual rather than with the team.

Ochsenreiter and sophomore Mitch Davis both shot eagles on the ninth hole. Davis finished the day shooting two over par.

Junior Tate Heintzelman made his IU debut in the shortened tournament and shot three over par.

IU will now be off for more than a month before returning to action in Seattle for the Redhawk Invitational on March 30-31.