IDS Connect   |   newsroom awards

IDS photographer places first in Indiana News Photographers Association awards

claire

Then-junior Andrew Ross sits on the ground after a fault during the Little 500 Qualifications on March 23, 2019, at Bill Armstrong Stadium. Photographer Claire Livingston won College Photographer of the Year in the sports category from the Indiana News Photographers Association for this photo. Claire Livingston

IU junior and Indiana Daily Student photographer Claire Livingston placed first in the College Photographer of the Year Sports category of the Indiana News Photographers Association awards. 

Her winning photo featured FIJI rider Andrew Ross after his fault during the 2019 Little 500 Qualifications. Livingston said she stumbled upon the photo when looking for pictures to submit to the annual contest. This was her first time submitting photos for the awards. 

“I’m honestly really glad I ended up finding it,” Livingston said. “I’m still shocked that I won.” 

Media School students Matt Begala and Noble Guyon also won awards with photos they took for the IDS. Begala placed second in the College Photographer of the Year News category. Guyon placed third in the College Photographer of the Year for the News, Features, Sports and Portrait categories. Judging took place this weekend at Franklin Hall.  

Livingston has been a member of the IDS staff for the past four semesters. View more photos from the INPA award winners here

More in Ids Connect