sports swimming & diving

Men's freestyle swimmers dominate in No. 5 IU’s win over No. 10 Louisville

Spiumsdrecap013120.jpg

IU head swimming coach Ray Looze was adamant about having his No. 5 men’s swimming and diving team at a “DEFCON 1 level of preparedness” for its meet against the No. 10 University of Louisville on Friday, and the Hoosiers delivered.

Behind sophomore Mikey Calvillo’s pair of wins, IU took down Louisville 171-129 at Ralph Wright Natatorium in Louisville, Kentucky. 

Calvillo swept the freestyle distance events, winning both the 500 and 1,000 yard races. It’s the second time Calvillo has taken both events in his career.

Junior Bruno Blaskovic also swept the freestyle sprints. He won the 50 freestyle with a time of 19.95 seconds and the 100 free with a time of 43.52 seconds. Sophomore Jack Franzman placed second in both events as well.

In his final regular season meet, senior Mohamed Samy was victorious in the 200 freestyle event for the sixth time with a time of 1:36.98. His performance provided IU with a clean sweep of the freestyle events.

The Hoosiers now look ahead to the Big Ten Championships, which will be take place Feb. 26-29 in Bloomington. IU is going for its fourth straight Big Ten title for the first time since 1985. The Hoosiers have the most conference championships of all time with 27.

IU will get a decisive third matchup with No. 3 Michigan this season in the Big Ten Championships. The Hoosiers took down the Wolverines 165-135 in a tri-meet in November but dropped a dual meet with them in January, 160-140, the first dual meet loss in four years for the men’s team.