sports tennis

IU women’s tennis finishes nonconference play with two wins this weekend

Spiuwtrecap022320 (1).jpg

In its last nonconference weekend, the IU women’s tennis team picked up a pair of victories over the University of Cincinnati and Ball State University. Both matches were played Sunday in Bloomington.

In the morning match, IU beat Cincinnati 4-0. Senior Annabelle Andrinopoulos and junior Jelly Bozovic secured a 6-1 doubles win, and so did senior Michelle McKamey and freshman Lexi Kubas. The doubles win was Kubas’ first time playing this season after dealing with an injury. She did not play in the second match Sunday.

The two wins gave IU the doubles point, even though senior Caitlin Bernard and freshman Alexandra Staiculescu trailed in their match 4-3.

Much like last weekend, IU displayed its depth in the singles matches against Cincinnati. McKamey won her match on the No. 5 court 6-3, 6-2, and freshman Mila Mejic won on the No. 6 court 6-3, 6-1. The fourth Hoosiers point came from Staiculescu, who won on the No. 3 court 6-2, 6-1.

In the second match against Ball State, IU didn’t start quickly like it did in the morning.

The Cardinals began the match by taking the doubles point from the Hoosiers. Bernard and Staiculescu lost 2-6, and McKamey and Mejic lost 4-6. The third doubles match was left unfinished.

From that point on, it was all IU. The turnaround began with the Hoosiers taking five of the six opening sets across the board in the singles matches. 

And with the added boost of energy, IU and won all of its singles matches. IU secured a 6-1 victory over Ball State to complete the comeback. 

The win marks the second time this season IU has won a match after dropping the doubles point. The first time came Feb. 7 against the United States Naval Academy.

After picking up the two wins, IU has an 8-4 record heading into Big Ten play. IU finished 5-2 in its home matches and 3-2 in its matches away from Bloomington in the nonconference portion of its schedule.

The Hoosiers will begin conference play Friday in Evanston, Illinois, against Northwestern. Two days later, IU will play Penn State in Bloomington to finish its opening weekend in the Big Ten.

Northwestern is 4-4, but riding a two-game win streak. Penn State is 3-3 and will enter Bloomington on Sunday after not playing a competitive match in two weeks.