sports track & field

IU men’s track and field to travel to Notre Dame this weekend

spiutfpreview020620 (1).jpg

The IU men's track and field team will travel north to run in the Meyo Invitational in South Bend, Indiana, on Friday and Saturday. The Hoosiers are coming off a successful weekend in the Indiana Relays.

IU will run against teams such as Michigan, the University of Notre Dame and Michigan State. It will be a smaller test for the Hoosiers after they faced off against the University of Alabama and Florida State University last weekend. 

Senior Kyle Mau won the men’s 3,000-meter last weekend and won Big Ten Track Athlete of the Week honors as a result of his performance. Last week was Mau’s first meet of the season. He has the third fastest time in the event at 7:51.90.  

Notre Dame holds four of the top five spots in the 3000-meter in the Atlantic Coast Conference. Mau will race against the Fighting Irish's top time holder Peter Monahan this weekend. 

Junior Cooper Williams will be competing in the 800-meter again. Williams held the best time in the country at the beginning of the season but was passed by University of Southern California senior Isaiah Jewett on Jan. 30. He now has the fifth fastest time in the country at 1:47.84. 

Two of last year’s Big Ten Indoor Championships scorers Ben Hill and Cole Johnson from Michigan will run against Williams this weekend. 

Sophomore Shaton Vaughn is looking for another victory in the 60-meter hurdles, as he won his first race of the season in the event last weekend with a time of 8.85 seconds. He will compete against Michigan freshman Josh Zeller who finished in less than eight seconds in the event earlier in the season. The Wolverines have the sixth ranked hurdle team in the nation, according to U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association.

Senior Adam Coulon and freshman Nathan Stone will not be competing this weekend.

“We’re getting some rest this weekend,” Coulon said. “I get to sleep in.”

The meet will start at 4 p.m. Friday and continue at 10 a.m. Saturday.