IU men’s basketball dominates No. 21 Iowa 89-77 to end four game losing streak

Spiubbrecap021320

IU men’s basketball ended its four-game losing streak Thursday night, defeating No. 21 ranked Iowa 89-77 at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall. 

This was IU’s fourth win over a ranked team in Assembly Hall. 

The season had seemed to be slipping away, as losses began to pile up and IU inched closer to falling out of the NCAA Tournament picture. Though with the win over the Hawkeyes, the Hoosiers have firmly re-asserted themselves as a sure-fire team for March Madness. 

After virtually disappearing over the course of IU’s losing streak, the offense played as well as it has in weeks. The Hoosiers shot 46% from the field and scored their highest point total since Dec. 13 against Nebraska. 

Senior guard Devonte Green scored a team leading 27 points including making four straight 3-pointers to start the game. The seven threes were his most in a single game this season and one short of a career high.

IU’s best resume win, over Florida State University, came in Green’s best game of the season. Green has been largely inconsistent throughout his IU career, but when he has played at his best, IU has had its best offensive performances. 

Green’s shooting helped IU get off to a quick start, building a big lead early-on. IU only trailed for 3:42 of the game and largely controlled the game against an Iowa team that has been among the best offensive groups in the nation this season. 

Iowa junior center and presumptive Big Ten Player of the Year Luka Garza dominated IU on the interior with 38 points. However, Iowa’s typically prolific shooting on 3-pointers wasn’t a factor Thursday night. 

IU found its strength on the interior, after that had been absent during the losing streak. IU out-rebounding Iowa 39-28 after having lost the rebounding battle in its past two games. The Hoosiers also took advantage of mistakes by the Hawkeyes, scoring 25 points off turnovers. 

IU is now 16-8 overall and 6-7 in the Big Ten, including 5-2 at home in conference place. IU will travel for its next game to face Michigan at 1 p.m. Saturday in Ann Arbor, Michigan.