student life

Anonymous donor will match up to $200,000 for new IU Queer Philanthropy Circle

Caalummatch021720.jpg

An anonymous donor pledged to match all donations up to $200,000 given to IU’s Queer Philanthropy Circle, a charity that raises money to support LGBTQ programs and resources.

The donor is matching donations made between now and June 30. Jessica Wootten, the associate director of LGBTQ+ Philanthropy, said the donations matching is meant to encourage others to donate to the Queer Philanthropy Circle. 

The organization was founded in November 2019, Wootten said. Becoming a member requires an annual donation amount which raises money to reinforce programs that improve the quality of life for people in the LGBTQ community, according to an IU press release.

Attaining membership in the circle includes three levels of donation amounts. The associate level, from $500 to $2,499, does not grant the donor any leadership in the circle. The partner level, from $2,500 to $4,999, allows the donor to attend meetings but not vote in them. The founding or active member level, $5,000 or above for three years, allows the donor to have a vote and participate in meetings, according to the release.

These donations will go toward supporting students, Wootten said. She said supporting faculty is also beneficial for students. The priorities of the circle will be set by the members and will center around making the campus as welcoming as possible through supporting resources such as the LGBTQ+ Culture Center.

“They want to strengthen and improve the reach that they have on their communities,” Wootten said. 

Wootten said the specifics of these improvements have yet to be decided by the members because the Queer Philanthropy Circle has only been active for four months.

No students are currently in these groups, though they are able to if they make a donation of $500 or more. Members currently include alumni, faculty and parents of LGBTQ students, Wootten said. The members ages range from 30 to 75.