OPINION: International students are afraid of getting deported

Opdeport012720.jpg

As a Turkish international student, my country’s diplomacy with the U.S. is on thin ice more often than not. I fear that any random incident at the customs line or inside the borders could lead to losing my student visa or being denied entry into the U.S., sent off on a plane as if this was a dystopian novel. The reason for this fear is that events like what happened to an Iranian student at Northeastern University in Boston keep occurring.

Last week, the New York Times reported Mohammad Shahab Dehghani Hossein Abadi, a 24-year-old Iranian citizen, was deported out of the U.S. Officials, following the guidelines set by Customs and Borders Protection, stated the border authorities were concerned Abadi had immediate family members with business ties to Hezbollah, a group designated by the U.S. as a terrorist organization. Later, according to Al Jazeera, this allegation was proven to be false by the ACLU and legal advocates. Yet the CBP went on with the decision, resulting in Abadi’s departure back to Iran.

Dehghani is one of at least 13 Iranian students who have been turned away since August at airports across the country despite having valid visas, according to the New York Times.

These students were treated unfairly because of their heritage, and the narrow-minded decisions of the CBP will have everlasting impacts on their lives.

Even before the heightened tensions with Iran, President Donald Trump administration’s xenophobic nature manifested itself the most in customs and border policies. Mistreatment toward Middle Eastern immigrants and travelers and the recent travel ban to multiple Muslim countries have really fleshed out an image of a rabid dog that is guarding the gates to America.

Freshman Austin Cao, of China, said he witnessed an incoming student being taken away to custody in front of himin August 2019 at Newark Liberty International Airport. He said the student had a copy of the I-20, a mandatory student visa document, but not the original version.

“The authorities told him he should have brought the original one and took him away," Cao said. "That was really stressful to see. What if I had done the same mistake?”

This irrational behavior of CBP is the real threat. There is always an excuse to send you away, but never a solid reason. They have demonstrated they operate not on a basis of logic, but of rash judgement. Randomness is what causes fear among many legal immigrants.

IU international student Tyler Hayik is someone who feels this concern deeply.

Hayik, of Israel, said he felt like he was entering a final exam as he walked in the line toward the customs officer at Chicago O'Hare International Airport.

“I was scared that if I didn’t have the required papers, and if I missed a single piece I would never be allowed in and get sent back,” Hayik said.

“Even before I came here, I was scared of the xenophobic Trump administration,” he said. “Being of Arabic descent, I always feared the thought of being kicked out. It scares me that this could happen at any moment, that I could be just anywhere, and they could snatch me. Two years of college wasted, my time, my efforts.”

Despite the fear and hatred, there is a reason why international students come to the U.S. in search of a better life. For some, the U.S. is a second home.

“I kind of feel like the U.S. is my home,” Hayik said. “I lived here in the past for three years, and I always felt a connection to it, and I would feel like I was being forced off my home if I was deported.”

For others such as Cao, it’s a place where we can freely express ourselves.

“I came to the USA for better education, to explore my interests and experience new things,” Cao said. “I’ve gone through many things that I can’t experience in China, things like talking freely and not being judged. When I started this university, I felt like I could say and write anything.”

Clearly, this country means so much to us, and I think we should mean at least something to it.

Kuzey Bektas (he/him) is a freshman studying physics & philosophy. He's an international student from Istanbul, Turkey.

CORRECTION: A previous version of this column misstated the date of a New York Times article about Mohammad Shahab Dehghani Hossein Abadi. The article published Jan. 21. The IDS regrets this error.