Lera Lynn to perform at the Bishop

entLeraLynn012820.JPG

Singer-songwriter Lera Lynn will perform at 9 p.m. Saturday at the Bishop.

The event is one of Lynn’s last stops ontour before her next album is released this year. The performance will feature a collection of songs from her most recent album “Plays Well With Others” as well as other songs from her catalog, such as “My Least Favorite Life” and “The Only Thing Worth Fighting For.” Indianapolis-based guitarist Jeff Kelley will accompany her onstage. 

In addition to singing, Lynn plays the acoustic and electric guitar. Audience members can expect a passionate and touching performance, Lynn’s manager J.W. Johnson said. 

“She is a compelling performer, she creates a real journey through her set,” Johnson said. “It really is an experience, a real emotional experience when you see her perform live.”

In addition to Lynn’s previous music, the setlist will include songs from her still unnamed forthcoming album, including some that are already available as singles, such as “Dark Horse.” 

Johnson said this performance will be a rare and exciting opportunity for people to hear some of her new songs before they’re officially released on the album.

“The haunting reality of her songwriting — there are a lot of people in this world who look good, sing good, play well, but not many who can write songs like that,” Johnson said. “I think that’s what separates her.”

Lynn first garnered fame in 2015 when she appeared as a singer in a dive bar on HBO’s “True Detective,” for which she composed the Season 2 soundtrack. Since then, she’s released three albums, collaborated with notable musicians such as Rosanne Cash and John Paul White and has played hundreds of shows across the U.S. and Europe, Johnson said. 

Lynn’s honesty and clarity shine through in her performances, creating a special bond between her and the audience, he said.

“That is the magic of live performance, that connection between the performer and the audience,” Johnson said. “That’s what you see in a lot of Lera Lynn shows, that give and take between her and the audience.”

Tickets for this 18-and-over event can be purchased for $15 on the Bishop’s website or at the door.