Events to expect in 2020 at the Eskenazi Museum of Art

entmbrief010920.jpg

The Eskenazi Museum of Art has multiple events arriving in 2020 where the IU and Bloomington communities can gather and experience a wealth of vast, distinct cultures. A majority of these events are free.

January 4

Highlights Tour - European and American Collection: This one-hour tour starting at 2 p.m. will highlight the museum's European and American collections. The exhibit features about 5,000 paintings, sculptures and decorations from the Middle Ages to late 20th century. One of the largest features the museum has to offer is Stuart Davis’ mural "Swing Landscape".

January 8

Mini Tour - Filipe Vigarny: The museum will have a 30-minute guided tour 12:15-12:45 p.m. Jan. 8. exploring Filipe Vigarny’s artworks. The tour will highlight eight wood panels from the European and American, Medieval-1900 Gallery that focuses on the life of the Virgin Mary.

January 11

Highlights Tour - Ancient and Asian Collection: This 2 p.m. guided tour will feature ancient art collections from the Mediterranean Sea and Near East, 4,000 years of Asian art and Islamic art collections. The tour will go in-depth with the old and new art pieces on the second floor gallery.

January 15

Mini Tour - Bamboo Baskets: This tour will begin at 12:15 p.m. and will highlight the Harrison Collection of Japanese baskets, which includes about 43 Japanese bamboo woven baskets and sculptures.

January 25

Yoga and Cultural Wellness - Mini Series: There will be an hour-long yoga session offered at 10:30 a.m. led by an instructor from Vibe Yoga Studio. After yoga, there will be a cultural wellness program at 11:45 a.m. featuring the museum’s art therapist Lauren King. This event is for ages 13 and up. 

Date Night: The museum extended its hours to 7 p.m. instead of 5 p.m. for this event. The night will include a Music Café from 5-7 p.m. with free hot apple cider provided by the museum, an Art of Improv Gallery Adventure at 5:30-6:30 p.m. and a Gallery Highlights Tour.

January 26

Art and a Movie: A pre-screening gallery talk “Ai in Focus” at noon in the Featured Exhibition Gallery on the first floor. The talk will be followed by a movie called “Ai WeiWei: The Fake Case” at the IU Cinema.

January 29

Mini Tour - Jim Dine: The museum will have guided tour from 12:15-12:45 p.m. featuring the work of Jime Dine, American painter, sculptor and printmaker. The tour will include a viewing of a collection of his artwork, including images inspired by his interest in poetry, psychoanalysis, transformation and the art of drawing. 

Every Thursday

Current exhibitions

Jim Dine: Pinocchio, Geppetto, and Other Personal Metaphors: This exhibit, which opened in November 2019 and will continue until May 10 features the museum’s new Center for Prints, Drawing and Photographs, which focuses on Dine’s work. This collection includes the artist’s 44 plate Pinocchio series, a recent self-portrait print and his first print series, “The Crash”. 

Re/New: Recent Acquisitions by Contemporary Artists: This exhibition, which started in November 2019 and will continue to March 1, will showcase 51 works by 45 artists acquired by Eskenazi in the past five years.

Casilda Sánchez, As the Inside As the Eye Can See: This exhibition, held at 4 p.m. from early November 2019 to Jan. 31, will showcase a film depicting two eyeballs that approach one another that can be seen from the Time-Based Media Gallery on the third floor.

The museum will conduct a free Art Therapy Open Studio from 1-4 p.m. every Thursday until March 12 where IU students and Bloomington community members can relax and create hand-made art. The session does not require any previous skills or knowledge.