arts   |   community events

Cicada Cinema to screen Jim Jarmusch film series

entcicadocinema011420

Director Jim Jarmusch arrives at the Palais des Festivals for the gala screening of "Chacun Son Cinema" on May 20, 2007, in Cannes, France. The Cicada Cinema will feature three films directed by Jarmusch throughout January at The Blockhouse Bar, Hopscotch Coffee and The Wood Shop, Upland Brewing Co.. Tribune News Service Buy Photos

Cicada Cinema, a Bloomington-based pop-up movie theater, will present a film series at 7 p.m. Jan. 26, 28 and 29 based on the works of director and screenwriter Jim Jarmusch.

Jarmusch is known for his work in independent film. In 1984, he won the Camera d'Or prize at the Cannes Film Festival for "Stranger Than Paradise" and in 2005 he won the Grand Prix of the Cannes Film Festival for his film "Broken Flowers."

These screenings are the result of a collaboration with the IU Cinema and its recent series “Jim Jarmusch: Cinema’s Enigmatic Deadpan Poet.”

The series will feature four of Jarmusch’s prominent films. Each film will be shown at a different location in Bloomington.

Cicada Cinema is a volunteer-driven group that presents films at different locations in the Bloomington community.

The double-feature screening of “Gimme Danger and “Year of the Horse” will take place at the Blockhouse Bar. “Coffee and Cigarettes” will be shown at Hopscotch Coffee on Dodds Street, and “Down by Law” will be screened at Upland The Wood Shop.

Details for each screening can be found on the Cicada Cinema Facebook page.

All screenings will be free and unticketed.

More in Arts