crime & courts bloomington

Bloomington teen charged with attempted murder after New Year's Day shooting

A Bloomington 17-year-old was booked into jail Wednesday and charged with attempted murder in relation to a Jan. 1 shooting.

Destin Montgomery is also charged with aggravated battery and criminal recklessness, according to the court documents. His initial hearing was Thursday afternoon.

Bloomington Police Department officers responded to a call Jan. 1 at Yorktown Courts Apartments on East Morningside Drive. There, police found Jeremiah Bowers, 26, inside his apartment building shot in the side and arm, according to court documents. BPD did not respond to an email sent Thursday evening asking if it had any more information on Bowers' condition.

“Destin Montgomery knowingly and intentionally attempted to kill Jeremiah Bowers, by firing several rounds from a handgun at Jeremiah, resulting in serious bodily injury,” one of the documents reads.

According to the document, Montgomery told police he went to Bowers’ house because Bowers was threatening him and Montgomery’s girlfriend. Montgomery reportedly waited at the entryway of the apartment building, and when Bowers arrived, Montgomery shot at Bowers.

Montgomery told police he took the gun from his father’s safe at home, according to the affidavit. Police spoke with Montgomery’s father, who said he recently took Montgomery to a shooting range where they bought ammunition. Montgomery told police the ammo was used to shoot Bowers.

Police interviewed a person who was with Montgomery at the apartment during the shooting. She reportedly told police Montgomery and Bowers argued the day before. She said she believed Bowers was threatening Montgomery over Snapchat, and they were talking about guns and shooting each other.

She told police said Montgomery planned to “just see if Jeremiah was there,” according to the document.