student life

A new chapter: Bid Night reveals new members’ sororities

Cabidnight012120 (1).jpg

A Panhellenic Association member started counting down on the microphone. Potential new members filled three tennis courts while they waited to find out which sorority bid was in their envelopes. 

Some were already screaming because they could see through the paper .

Twenty-two sororities gained 1,188 new members Tuesday night at the IU Tennis Center. This is the end of a two-week recruitment process that started Jan. 8. Bid Night is the last day of recruitment, when potential new members receive letters telling them which sorority invited them to join.

The crowd yelled and jumped up and down with their bid letters in hand. Many women said they were excited to have new friends and be part of the greek community. 

“I’m excited to get to know all my sisters and the lifelong friends that come with it,” said Bayli Toy, a new member of Chi Omega. 

Rho Gamma Recruitment Director Rachel Clark said the Panhellenic Association has organized 50 activities for PNMs in two weeks as part of the recruitment process. The preparation has stretched through the whole fall semester, including organizing classes for Rho Gammas and planning events.Rho Gammas are members who temporarily disaffiliate from their sororities to lead potential new members through the recruitment process .

Freshman Nicole Russnak is a new member of Gamma Phi Beta. She said she had no words for how she felt after opening her bid letter. 

“I have a new home,” Russnak said. “It’s a good feeling being surrounded by people who want the same thing as me.”

bidnight012120_6.jpg
Freshman Claire Sherfick waits to open her envelope during Bid Night on Jan. 21 at the IU Tennis Center. The envelope contains the name of the sorority she is accepted into. Joy Burton

Rho Gamma Lauren Miele said she knew how stressful the process was and wanted to use her experience to help the potential new members through it.

Earlier in the night, Rho Gammas revealed which sorority they belonged to. During recruitment, potential new members aren't told which sorority their Rho Gammas belong to in order to ensure they receive unbiased tours and advice.  

Many were relieved the recruitment process was finally over. 

“It was probably the most stressful experience in my life,” said Alicia Kleckner, a new Alpha Delta Pi member. 

The night ended with chapter leaders, Rho Gammas and new members being escorted onto buses to be taken to individual celebrations for each sorority. Clark said new members will meet the women in their chapters for a night of fun and food.

Zeta Tau Alpha member and senior Emily Sanner had a word of advice for new members: “Cherish every moment because it goes by quick.”

bidnight012120_2.jpg
IU freshmen Sarah Newton and Avery McKinney hug Jan. 21 during Bid Night at the IU Tennis Center. Potential new members opened envelopes telling them which sorority they had received a bid from. Joy Burton