arts   |   community events   |   music

What to listen for around Bloomington this December

entconcerts120119

Straight No Chaser members Jerome Collins and Walter Chase dance June 9, 2018, during their first of three songs performed at the IU Alumni Association luncheon and meeting. The group will perform Dec. 13 at the IU Auditorium. IDS file photo and Ty Vinson Buy Photos

As the school semester comes to a close, the month of December presents an array of concerts in Bloomington. This includes the musical stylings of the a cappella group Straight No Chaser; an intimate guitarist and singer from Indiana, Ross David; a local Black Sabbath cover band called Hole in the Sky and Laura Stevenson, an alternative singer hailing from New York. 

Straight No Chaser

A well-renowned a cappella group that got its start at IU in 1996 comes back to perform in Bloomington for the group's Open Bar Tour. Finding virality in its YouTube video of “The 12 Days of Christmas,” the group signed a five-album record deal with Atlantic Records in 2008. With renditions of holiday tunes and major hits, its show at 8 p.m. Dec. 13 in the IU Auditorium will celebrate more than two decades of the ensemble since the group formed.

Hole in the Sky

Hole in the Sky, a tribute band to Black Sabbath performs at 9 p.m. Dec. 29 at the Bluebird. Black Sabbath is a dark, heavy metal group that originated in Birmingham, UK and rose to fame in the 70s.

Ross David

One of Indiana’s own is set to play at 9 p.m. Dec. 7 at the Tap. With his popular, and widely streamed hit “Fire Burnin’” and six independently released EPs, David brings a romantic and soulful style to songs, along with his guitar playing. David provides uplifting melodies and personable lyrics.

Laura Stevenson

New York musician Laura Stevenson will perform at 9 p.m. Dec. 12 at the Bishop. Stevenson comes from a musical background as her grandfather composed musical scores such as “The Little Drummer Boy” and “Do You Hear What I Hear?” Her grandmother also had musical roots and was a singer for the notable jazz bandleader Benny Goodman. Stevenson was the keyboardist for Jeff Rosenstock’s project "Bomb the Music Industry!" Stevenson will perform her newest studio album "The Big Freeze" alongside the lo-fi artist Adult Mom as the opening act.

CORRECTION: A previous version of this article listed the wrong time for the Straight No Chaser performance. The IDS regrets this error.

More in Arts