IU men’s basketball uses defense to hold on against UConn

spiubbrecap120719 (2).jpg

Through the first nine games this season, IU men’s basketball never shot less than 40% from the field.

In the 20-point loss to Wisconsin, IU shot 42%. In the 14-point win over South Dakota State University, IU shot 41.4%. In the 11-point win over Portland State University, IU shot 50%.

At times, the offense hasn’t been strong. But Tuesday night against the University of Connecticut, the offense had its worst outing with a 36.8% performance. It was the first time not a single IU player scored in double digits.

Both teams struggled to find the basket much, due in part to playing on an NBA court. Through the broadcast it was mentioned it could sometimes be tough for college athletes to get accustomed to the court for one-time situations.

IU won anyway.

The Hoosiers held on against the Huskies in New York City 57-54 due to one of the best performances of the season from the defense. IU forced 22 turnovers, matching a season high from the win against North Alabama University.

“Every game we play from this point forward is going to be like this,” IU head coach Archie Miller said. “We gotta get used to it.”

In the postgame press conference, Miller also mentioned that the defense got “amped up” when freshman forward Trayce Jackson-Davis would play the center position due to his mobility. It was evident on the court as the Hoosiers were quicker and able to better defend UConn on the perimeter and on cuts to the basket.

It also helped that IU had one of its better on-ball defenders back on the court Tuesday night in sophomore guard Rob Phinisee. It was his first appearance in four games, and his steady presence helped IU go on multiple runs to stay within striking distance each time UConn found an offensive rhythm.

“He played more in tonight’s game than he’s practiced all year,” Miller said.

But it was senior guard Devonte Green who forced the late turnover that practically sealed the game for the Hoosiers.

Green wasn’t credited with a steal, but after he missed a free throw attempt that would’ve given IU a four-point lead, he forced a loose ball turnover that stopped UConn from having a transition opportunity.

For each run that UConn had, IU responded. It was something that didn’t happen against Wisconsin, but it was different this time around due to the defensive intensity and different lineups on the floor.

It was a short-lived road trip, but the Hoosiers will return home Friday night against Nebraska on a new winning streak. The season is early, and for IU, it’s still about making adjustments to see what works best night in and night out.

“Every game is a learning experience,” junior forward Justin Smith said. “We’re still learning how to win.”