student life

UPDATE: Pi Kappa Phi placed on cease and desist, interim suspension

Pi Kappa Phi.jpg

Update 5:58 p.m. Dec. 16

Victor Tran, assistant executive director of communication for Pi Kappa Phi said in a statement to the Indiana Daily Student that the fight Friday evening was started by “an uninvited guest” after members of Pi Kappa Phi attempted to remove him and his friends.

Tran also said the fraternity’s investigation concluded that anti-Semitism was not a motivation.

“Pi Kappa Phi values diversity and inclusion and does not condone violence,” Tran said. “Ten percent of the Indiana University Chapter of Pi Kappa Phi identify as Jewish and the event was co-hosted with a Jewish fraternity.”

The fraternity is cooperating with local authorities during the ongoing investigation.

Update 8:48 p.m.

IU has released a statement about the incident on its official Twitter account.

According to the statement, the university is investigating the assault as well as allegations of anti-Semitic and racial slurs.

“Indiana University condemns bias or violence in any form and will hold individuals and organizations accountable,” the statement said. “Diversity and inclusion are core values that we expect to be shared by all IU students.”

Update 6:38 p.m.

IU spokesperson Chuck Carney said in a text message to the Indiana Daily Student on the behalf of the IU Police Department that IUPD is currently conducting an investigation into the assault. The department has executed a search warrant and has interviewed the victims.

“We are aware of allegations of bias statements made in this case and will investigate fully,” Carney said in the statement.

The statement said detectives will work the case in consultation with the Monroe County Prosecutor’s office and federal partners.

Carney said the university will soon be providing a statement on the matter.

Update 5:06 p.m.

Alpha Epsilon Pi spokesperson Jonathan Pierce has confirmed members of Alpha Epsilon Pi were involved in the fight.

IU spokesperson Chuck Carney said Pi Kappa Phi has been placed on cease and desist by the IU Office of Student Conduct.

Pierce said the organization is aware of the video and knows who the Alpha Epsilon Pi members are in the video.

Alpha Epsilon Pi is a traditionally Jewish fraternity. The IFC's statement said the council is investigating "the disturbing increase of alleged anti-Semitic incidents."

Pi Kappa Phi headquarters did not respond to requests for comment.

Original story

The Interfraternity Council announced the suspension of the Pi Kappa Phi fraternity Sunday in light of a video of an assault between fraternity members.

The interim suspension is in effect until an investigation reveals more information and a standards case can be heard, according to the IFC’s statement to the Indiana Daily Student.

“The problem exemplified in this video insinuates a larger problem in this organization,” the statement reads.

The council is working with IU’s Office of Sorority and Fraternity Life and the national headquarters of Pi Kappa Phi, according to the statement.

Correction: A previous version of this article misstated who the Alpha Epsilon Pi spokesperson confirmed was involved. Jonathan Pierce only confirmed the involvement of Alpha Epsilon Pi in the altercation. The IDS regrets this error.