arts community events

Figure Skating Club at IU to present Winter Ice Show

generic arts filler.jpg

The Figure Skating Club at IU will be presenting its annual Winter Ice Show at 12:30 p.m. Dec. 8 at the Frank Southern Ice Arena. Admission to the show is $5.

The show begins with an opening number featuring all the members performing that day. The skaters will also perform in a variety of group and solo routines, and a former club skater will be returning to emcee the show.

“It’s a great way for people to have just a fun holiday show to enjoy and be a part of during the chaos of finals,” Frankie Siracusano, the president of the club, said. “The year before last the show used to be on the Sunday leading into finals, but we wanted more people to be less stressed and enjoy the experience more so we moved it up.”

There will be club apparel for sale before the show and a raffle drawing during intermission where attendees can win a basket of prizes curated by the club members.

At the end of the performance, audience members are invited to join the club members on the ice for public skate. Attendees are encouraged to bring their own skates if they own them, or they can rent skates from the rink for $3.

Most people don't know there is a figure skating club at IU, Siracusanosaid . Siracusano’s figure skating journey began when she was four years old. After years of competing, she is now considered a senior, or highest, level skater. 

Many club members however don’t experience exposure to the sport until college.

During Welcome Week, students are introduced to the group – and sport –for the first time at RecFest or through the club’s social media. The club welcomes students of all experience levels, from those who have never put on skates to those at the same level as Siracusano.

Due to the rink being a seasonal rink, meaning that there is only ice from October to March, the club has only had three nights a week since Nov. 1 to prepare for the show. Student coaches, like Siracusano, work to teach beginning skills to new skaters, or recreational members, during this training period. Some recreational members will also design programs and aid in planning the event.

“Overall, you’re going to see a big array of skaters, from those starting this year to those who have been doing it their whole life,” Siracusano said. “We all just root each other on. It’s all about having fun and enjoying the holiday season in our own special way.”