The ins and outs of parking permits at IU

specParkingfall2019

Faculty, staff, students and visitors at IU often drive cars to commute, and many places around campus require parking permits. Below are the different options of permits and where those permits allow drivers to go, according to the IU's Office of Parking Operations' website.

Obtaining a permit

Permits can be ordered online through the IU Office of Parking Operations parking portal, which provides customers with a printable temporary permit. Customers can contact parking operations if there is a particular permit they need. 

A temporary permit becomes invalid after two weeks. Customers should have received the real permit in the mail by then. The website says to use a non-campus address for quick delivery.

Parking citations must be taken care of before getting a new permit. 

Student parking options

Campus housing parking permits, CH,  are available to students living in residence halls. Students can park between 5 p.m. and 7 a.m. in EM-P, EM-S, ST, garage or numbered reserved spaces except for the 24-hour tow zones in these areas. The CH permit will have a number following the H indicating a zone. The zone number will be given based on contracted housing assignment, and students must park in lots with the same zone number. 

If ineligible for CH parking, students can get ST parking permits, which allows for parking in ST parking and 24-hour CH zones between 5 p.m. Friday to 11 p.m. Sunday. They can also park in EM-P, EM-S, numbered reserved spaces and garages between 7 a.m. and 5 p.m. weekdays and all day Saturday and Sunday. Unlike CH, the ST permits do not have a designated zone number.

There is a disability parking permit, DFA, for students.

From 5 p.m. to 7 a.m. weekdays and all day Saturday and Sunday, students can park in 24-hour tow zones of EM-P, EM-S, numbered reserved spaces and garages. These students can also park in a disabled meter for free and ADA-accessible spaces. They’re also able to enter the closed area of campus from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday. 

Faculty parking options

There is a disability parking permit, D, for faculty, staff or other non-student employees. This permit allows for the same things as a student disability permit. 

Faculty and staff can get EM-P or EM-S permits. Graduate assistants can get EM-S permits.

EM-S permits do not allow for parking in EM-P areas. EM-P and EM-S allow for disabled parking with a state-issued ADA hang tag or plate. For EM-S and EM-P permits, parking in CH3 is allowed. 

EM-V, or employee value permits, are valid for full-time faculty and staff members, and they are able to park anywhere north of 17th Street through the valid date. These same people can also get reserved parking, which allows for similar permissions of the EM-P permit. 

Reserved parking allows for parking in EM-P, EM-S, ST and CH3 parking lots and any garage. From 5 p.m. Friday to 11 p.m. Sunday, they can park in 24-hour CH spaces.

Retired and disabled retired employees can contact the Office of Parking Operations for the different rates, and these are also available to purchase online or in person. 

Visitors

Visitors must park in a pay facility or metered parking area. Otherwise, they can purchase a one-day visitor permit, which differ depending on where they want to park. 

Others

Evening permits are available for anyone who doesn’t travel on campus during the day or Student Recreational Sports Center patrons. The permit allows for parking from 5 p.m. Friday to 11 p.m. Sunday in CH parking zones. 

It also allows for parking between 5 p.m. and 7 a.m. on weekdays and all day Saturday and Sunday in EM-P, EM-S, ST, garage or numbered reserved spaces except for 24-hour tow zones. The SRSC lot is also open to people with this permit for two hours with validation from the SRSC. 

Faculty, staff and students with motorcycles or bikes will need an M or bike parking permit. Motorcycles can be parked in designated areas with the zone indicated on the permit, and bikes can be kept on bike racks and designated areas on campus with these permits. 

For faculty, staff and students who need to come to campus during the summer, they can get a GSU permit that allows for parking in garages during operating hours and any 24-hour CH zone between 5 p.m. Friday and 11 p.m. Sunday. They can park in any EM-P, EM-S, ST or CH spaces and numbered reserved spaces, except for 24-hour tow zones, from 5 p.m. to 7 a.m. on weekdays. 

For parking rates, visit the Office of Parking Operations' website, as prices change and vary.