sports   |   women's basketball

No. 17 IU women’s basketball knocks off No. 5 South Carolina in day one of Paradise Jam

spiuwbbbrief112819

Senior Brenna Wise cheers on freshman Grace Waggoner after being fouled Nov. 10 at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall. No. 17 IU beat the No. 5 University of South Carolina in in a 71-57 upset in the first round of the Paradise Jam tournament in the U.S. Virgin Islands. Claire Livingston Buy Photos

No. 17 IU women’s basketball picked up its first signature win of the season Thursday, stunning No. 5 University of South Carolina 71-57.

The Hoosiers shot 50% from the floor and 47% from three, led in scoring by senior forward Brenna Wise and junior guard Ali Patberg with 16 points each.

Sophomores Grace Berger and Aleksa Gulbe each contributed 10 points to the cause as IU picked up its first win over a ranked opponent this season

The big difference for the Hoosiers was the fourth quarter where they outscored the Gamecocks 24-6.

This was the first win against an AP Top 5 since defeating then-No. 4 Ohio State 67-62 in January 2010. 

IU remains undefeated at a perfect 5-0 to start the season, with another upset opportunity on the horizon as it will face off with No. 2 Baylor University for day two of the Paradise Jam on Friday.

More in Sports