sports men's soccer

No. 10 IU men’s soccer receives 12 Big Ten postseason honors

The IU men's soccer team celebrates in the locker room after clinching the Big Ten regular season championship Nov. 3 in East Lansing, Michigan. The Hoosiers received 12 Big Ten postseason awards.

On the heels of clinching its second consecutive Big Ten regular season championship, No. 10 IU men’s soccer received 12 postseason honors according to the conference office Friday. 

IU ended 2019 with two first-team selections, five overall team selections and three other honors for its players and coaches.

Sophomore defender Jack Maher, the lone sophomore on the Mac Hermann Trophy watchlist, earned a place on the All-Big Ten First Team. Joining him in this honor was freshman midfielder Aidan Morris. 

In addition to making the conference’s First Team, Maher was also named as the Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year for his eight points and two game-winning goals. His penalty kick goal in the 28th minute against Michigan State gave IU the clinching victory and the No. 1 seed in the conference tournament.

IU’s defense surrendered 15 goals in 17 games, the second lowest total in the conference. Maher’s efforts on the backline kept IU on top of its opponents and contributed to six clean sheets on the year. 

Morris, the other Hoosier on the Big Ten All-First Team, was named the Big Ten Freshman of the Year and also made the All-Big Ten Freshman team. The No. 1 ranked freshman in the country finished the regular season with 10 points and was third in the conference in assists with six. 

Freshman forward Herbert Endeley joined Morris on the All-Big Ten Freshman team with seven points on the season. 

Endeley’s speed and early success forced IU head coach Todd Yeagley’s hand in placing him in the starting lineup. The freshman contributed to IU’s 34 goals, the most of any Big Ten team.

Further honors for IU came for freshman midfielder Joshua Penn, junior defender Spencer Glass and senior defender Simon Waever. The trio was named to the 2019 All-Big Ten Second Team and in addition, Penn was also named to the All-Big Ten Freshman Team. 

Penn, Glass and Waever combined for eight goals, eight assists and 24 points in their first and final season playing together. 

Last among the honors was Yeagley receiving the conference’s Coach of the Year Award for the third time in his career. Yeagley coached the Hoosiers to the 16th regular season conference title in program history. 

The Hoosiers will square off with either Rutgers or Ohio State on Sunday at Jerry Yeagley Field. In their last 40 matches at home, the Hoosiers are 27-0-13 against Big Ten foes.