Making your house a home on a budget

specfurnigishingfall2019.jpg

Going to college can be a stressful time, especially with many moving away from home for the first time. In the midst of this confusion, why not give your room the warm touch of home it deserves?

The Indiana Daily Student talked with some students to get their thoughts on how to spruce up any dorm, house or apartment. They offered suggestions on how to brighten up their room, where to go to buy decor and how to budget when decorating.

Sophomore Georgia Strauss lives in an apartment off campus.

She said she bought curtains, a cute side table and some decorative lights to make her room feel more like home. Still, she said there are other items that she would like to get to continue to make her room feel more like home.

“Maybe find a better couch from Target, maybe get some cheap chairs instead,” Strauss said. “Try to pick out a color scheme and get some pillows to match that.”

Not every student is able to spend money on decorations to make a room feel homey. Freshman Sarthak Nagar said his dorm is just the place he sleeps. 

“I’m a pretty simple guy, so I don’t really have to much stuff in my dorm,” Nagar said.

But if you do choose to decorate, it’s important to know where to shop to decorate your room on a budget. Freshman Ava Bloomberg said she primarily uses online shopping to buy any necessities for her room.

“I would just type into Google ‘dorm decorations’ and a thousand things would come up,” she said.

Other ways to save money are looking into secondhand items, going thrift shopping and looking at the IU Classifieds.

Budgets are important, especially for college students. They agreed a good budget might be between $200 to $500, but it varies for every student.