sports   |   men's soccer

IU men’s soccer earns the fifth overall seed in NCAA Tournament

dsc3325

IU men's soccer defeated Michigan in a penalty kick shootout to win the Big Ten Tournament title Sunday in College Park, Maryland. Photo courtesy of IU Athletics Buy Photos

IU men’s soccer has been awarded the fifth overall seed in the 2019 NCAA Tournament and will play its first match Nov. 24 against the winner of the University of Kentucky and the University of Loyola, Chicago.

The Hoosiers clinched the automatic bid into the 48-team tournament field after capturing the program’s 14th Big Ten tournament title Sunday. The 5-seed also affords IU a first-round bye and gives it home-field advantage for at least two tournament matches.

IU had already also locked up the Big Ten regular season title with a 1-0 win against Michigan State on Nov. 3.

This marks the 33rd-straight NCAA Tournament appearance for the Hoosiers, and the 10th-straight appearance under head coach Todd Yeagley.

Last season, IU secured the second overall seed in the NCAA Tournament and culminated in a second straight trip to the College Cup. The team eventually fell to 11-seeded Maryland in the College Cup semifinals.

IU will be in search of its ninth National Title and 21st College Cup appearance as the first round of matches kicks off Thursday.

More in Sports