Instant Recap: IU goes for seventh win of season under the lights against Northwestern

spiufbcolumn103119.jpg

*Tuttle Time! Jack Tuttle takes over at quarterback.

*FIELD GOAL INDIANA. Logan Justus drills a 30 yard field goal to give IU a 34-3 lead.

*TOUCHDOWN INDIANA. Scott catches a swing route and takes it 20 yards for the score. IU leads Northwestern 31-3.

*Northwestern goes three and out. IU takes over at its own 48.

*Northwestern quarterback Hunter Johnson leaves the game after being helped off the field. Aiden Smith takes over under center.

*Scott rushes for 21 yards on IU's first drive of the half before it stalls leading to an IU punt. Northwestern will take over on its own 11 yard-line.

*Ramsey trots out to start the second half.

*Northwestern goes three-and-out on its first possession of the second half.

*The Hoosiers head to halftime with a 24-3 lead over the Wildcats. IU leads total yardage 220-155. Will be interesting to see if Penix returns to the field, let alone the sideline, in the second half.

*IU linebacker Cam Jones has been ejected from the game with a targeting penalty.

*Junior Peyton Ramsey checks in at quarterback for IU. It's been reported that Penix took a trip to the locker room.

*Northwestern offense goes three-and-out before punting it away to IU. The Hoosiers have 2:13 left to work in the first half.

*TOUCHDOWN: Scott finds the end zone for his second rushing score tonight. Justus makes the extra point to push IU's first-half lead to 24-3.

*For the third time this half, the Wildcats commit a costly pass interfence penalty in the end zone. Hoosiers ball from the two-yard line.

*Penix has all day to throw and he quickly fires it across midfield to Philyor for a gain of 41 yards. Philyor's first catch tonight and he ran the ball into Northwestern territory too. He follows that up with a 35-yard catch.

*Northwestern punts after Johnson's first incompletion on 3rd down. Had completed his first four passes.

*Brownsburg, Indiana, native and former five-star quarterback prospect Hunter Johnson subs into the game for Northwestern.

*TOUCHDOWN: With some help from the o-line, Penix sneaks it in from a yard out. Justus' kick is good and IU leads 17-3 with 11:10 left in the first half.

*Hoosiers draw both an offsides and pass interference from the Wildcats to put the ball at the two-yard line.

*For the second time tonight, the Wildcats start an offensive possession with a lost fumble. Mullen recovered the ball after sophomore Cam Jones forced it free. Second takeaway for IU so far and now the offense has another chance to score.

*Penix took another shot deep and missed Fryfogle. The Hoosiers wanted a pass interference call but don't get it and punt to the Wildcats.

*Penix had plenty of time in the pocket and ultimately threw the ball out of junior receiver Whop Philyor's reach on a deep shot. Philyor is still searching for his first catch tonight.

*FIELD GOAL: Northwestern's Kuhbander converts the 25-yard chip shot. 10-3 IU with 14:18 to play in the second quarter.

*At the end of one quarter, IU leads Northwestern in total yardage 117-91. Penix is 6-of-8 passing for 65 yards and Scott has 48 yards and a touchdown on the ground.

*Two plays later, the Wildcats go to the same desgined quarterback run but he's marked short. On 4th and 2, they turn to their Wildcat package and run for a gain of eight yards.

*Northwestern converts on a 3rd and 4 near midfield with a quarterback keeper.

*TOUCHDOWN: Scott punches it in from two yards out to extend the Hoosier lead to 9-0 and Justus add the extra point to make it 10-0. 6:40 left in the first quarter.

*Penix can't connect with Hale in the end zone on a fade but IU gets a break with a defensive pass interference call. Ball will be placed on the second yard line and the Hoosiers have first and goal.

*FUMBLE: On Northwestern's first play from scrimmage, freshman cornerback Tiawan Mullen's tackle jarred the ball loose. Officials will look at it but the ruling on the field is an IU recovery.

*FIELD GOAL: Senior kicker Logan Justus clears the uprights to hit from 27 yards out. 3-0 IU lead with 9:39 remaining in the first quarter.

*Sophomore running back Stevie Scott slashes his way into the red zone for a gain of 27 yards. Scott has 35 yards on his first three carries.

*The Hoosiers get the ball first and start the game with consecutive five-yard false start penatlies. On 3rd and 6, Penix finds fifth-year receiver Donovan Hale for first down yardage.

*Redshirt freshman Michael Penix Jr. was the last IU quarterback on the field taking snaps with the first team offense. It looks like he will return from injury today and start under center.

*IU has a chance to extend its three-game winning streak heading into next week's bye. The Wildcats have lost five straight contests but are the reigning Big Ten West champions.

*Hello and welcome to today's Instant Recap for IU football's Saturday evening matchup with Northwestern. It's the Hoosiers second to last home game of 2019.