arts community events

Two new exhibitions brought to Grunwald Gallery

entgrunwald101719.jpg

The Grunwald Gallery is welcoming two new exhibitions to the museum, open until Nov. 20. The museum’s mission is to highlight the work of students, emerging and established artists who come from many different backgrounds. According to the gallery’s website, the museum focuses on collaborating with artists, scientists and scholars to create exhibits that interpret art in a broader scientific or humanitarian perspective.

The gallery is open to the public Tuesday through Saturday from 12-4 p.m. in the Fine Arts Building.

Remembering and Forgetting

The gallery displays artwork from over 15 artists from the Bloomington area. Film and video, photographs, objects, paintings and other artworks explore how memory plays a vital role in our lives. There will be artist talks from 12-1 p.m. Oct. 25 and Nov. 1.

This exhibition is partnering with the College of Arts and Sciences Themester 2019, "Remembering and Forgetting," which encompasses the idea that everyone has memories of their lives they remember and they forget. Through courses, films, exhibitions and other hands-on experiences, students can explore this concept that all humans relate to. 

Jerald Jacquard: Art is Life

Bloomington artist and IU emeritus professor Jerald Jacquard will be exhibiting some of his works, including drawings, paintings, mobiles, small bronzes and monumental sculptures.

He has worked on two University sculpture programs, one at the University of Illinois Chicago and the other at IU. In 1963, Jacquard was awarded a Fulbright Scholarship, allowing him to study bronze casting in Florence, Italy. He also received a National Endowment for the Arts Grant in 1980 and a Lilly Research Fellowship in 1981.

“The older I get, the more art and the making of art become a mystery,” Jacquard said on the gallery’s website. “When I was young I thought that making art was natural and somewhat logical. Now it has become a necessity to make my life have meaning.”