crime & courts

Man arrested after reportedly possessing half pound of synthetic marijuana

A 31-year-old man was arrested Wednesday after police say he possessed roughly half a pound of the synthetic marijuana and prodcut Spice and was allegedly selling it. 

Bloomington Police Department Capt. Ryan Pedigo said a detective observed Isaiah Berry around 5:06 p.m. Wednesday at the intersection of South Henderson Street and South Brandon Court. 

The detective was familiar with Berry and knew he had an outstanding warrant, Pedigo said. According to court documents, Berry had not complied with his pretrial supervision for another case. 

The detective asked uniformed officers to approach Berry, Pedigo said. They confirmed Berry’s identity and the warrant for his arrest. When an officer began to search Berry’s person, he reportedly found a hard plastic container with a plant-like substance. Pedigo said Berry confirmed the substance was Spice. The officer also found a glass smoking device on Berry’s person. 

Pedigo said Berry was carrying two bags with him when he was arrested. When officers searched the first bag, they reportedly found a small safe with a significant amount of money sorted into different denominations, which the detective said was a common practice for those who sell drugs. Officers also found small plastic bags in the safe. 

In the other bag, officers found more Spice, Pedigo said. The total amount of Spice reportedly weighed 231 grams or around 0.51 pounds. 

Berry was arrested on preliminary charges of dealing in a controlled substance and violation of terms of placement, according to Monroe County Correctional Center bookings. Berry’s bond is $60,000.