Halloweek is finally upon us.
It doesn’t matter if you’re partying, trick-or-treating or just sitting at home watching spooky movies — you need a costume. With the festivities quickly approaching, I’ve compiled a list of good, cheap places around Bloomington to buy Halloween costumes for you.
- Party City, 2817 E. Third St.
Party City is a classic chain Halloween store. I think we all know the characteristic scent of those plastic masks that smacks you across the face when you walk through the door. Beyond masks, Party City has a great selection of costumes: in one section, you can be Elsa, but step over one aisle and you can be Pennywise. Just be careful as costumes can get a little pricey here.
- Campus Costume, 322 S. College Mall Road
Campus Costume is a good local place to find a mix of distinct and mass-produced costumes. They even offer costume rentals, so you don’t have to worry about spending a lot of money buying something you’ll only wear once. (And if you’re in a pinch for a formal event, they offer tuxedo rentals, too.) And in a few months if you find yourself preparing for a themed party, Campus Costume is open year-round.
- Vintage Wearhouse, 401 E. Fourth St.
Vintage Wearhouse is a little shop a few blocks west of campus that sells jewelry, antiques and costumes. There’s always some type of deal going on, so you won’t break the bank over here.
- Goodwill, 512 S. College Mall Road
What costume shop list would be complete without Goodwill? Although it’s not necessarily a “costume shop,” you can find a lot of good pieces to mix and match for a pretty low price. However, it’s not guaranteed that you’ll find a show-stopping costume here, so don’t yell at me if you leave empty-handed.
Although not a physical shop, Amazon is a great place to find costumes or to put together a DIY costume. With the weekend and parties approaching, two-day Amazon Prime shipping will save your life.
I know that not everyone has the money to go out and buy a Halloween costume, so I’m gonna help you out by brainstorming some DIY get-ups.
- French Kiss: All you need for this costume is some black and white face paint and a beret. Draw a design on your face so you look like you belong in a '70s rock band, and put on your beret. Now you’re a French kiss.
Pro tip: Carry around a baguette.
- Cereal Killer: Another pun here, but this costume only involves an empty cereal box, a red marker and some plastic silverware. Cut holes, and draw all over the cereal box with a red marker to make it look like you "killed" the cereal. Then tape the box to your shirt, and that’s it.
Pro tip: Leave some plastic knives and forks sticking out of the box.
- A Pile of Leaves: If you’re really running behind and don’t have any money, this is the costume for you. All you have to do is carry a roll of masking tape on your way to the party, pick up some colorful leaves and slap them all over yourself. Boom. You’re a pile of leaves.
Pro tip: Pick up leaves throughout the week so you get a variety of sizes and colors.
There you have it. There’s plenty of places around Bloomington to find some cheap and good-looking costumes.
Stay safe this weekend, and happy haunting!