bloomington

Bloomington’s Indiana State Police post participating in prescription drug take back day 

Many Indiana State Police posts, including District 33 located in Bloomington, are accepting unwanted or expired drugs and other items 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday.

Not sure what to do with an old prescription, vaping cartridge or non-battery-powered vape pen? Many Indiana State Police posts, including District 33 located in Bloomington, are accepting unwanted or expired items 10a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday.

According to an Indiana State Police press release, participating locations will be accepting liquid and pill prescription medications, vape pens without a battery and vape cartridges for free. Participants are anonymous, and no questions will be asked.

Indiana State Police partnered with the Drug Enforcement Administration for take back day as a part of the DEA’s 18th nationwide “Prescription Drug Take Back” initiative, according to an Indiana State Police press release. The program attempts to prevent prescription drug misuse, poisonings and overdoses.

Indiana State Police Department Sgt. Ron Galaviz said the DEA organizes take back days twice a year, usually in April and October. He said there are collection sites in Indiana separate from Indiana State Police that participate as well.

Flushing unwanted medications down the toilet or throwing them in the trash can be harmful to the environment, and collected drugs are disposed of using environmentally safe methods, according to the release.