crime & courts

Man arrested after allegedly swallowing pill, bag of white powder in front of officers

Police stopped a 35-year-old man Monday to ask why he was interfering with delivery packages. While they spoke, the man allegedly swallowed an unknown pill and later a bag of white powder. 

The man, Brandon Barnett, was arrested on preliminary charges of possession of a legend drug and obstruction of justice Monday afternoon.

Bloomington Police Department Sgt. Jason Shaevitz said officers were dispatched to Sunny Slopes Drive regarding a suspicious person around 3:30 p.m. When they arrived, officers saw Barnett walking on porches and disrupting delivery packages. 

Shaevitz said officers asked Barnett for his ID. He went to remove it from his wallet and a small rectangular pill fell out. Officers reported Barnett knelt down, picked the pill up and swallowed it. 

Police continued to speak to Barnett, who they said smelled of alcohol, while he waved his arms around. Shaevitz said Barnett was holding his wallet and a bag of white powder allegedly fell out. He swallowed it as well.

Shaevitz said Barnett became uncooperative with officers and could not give a good reason why he was in the neighborhood. Officers put Barnett in handcuffs and found a pill bottle of anti-anxiety medication on him during a search. The prescription was not made out to him. 

Shaevitz said officers took Barnett to the hospital after arresting him. He said Barnett had a warrant in Vanderburgh County but will be remanded to Monroe County Correctional Center.