sports baseball

IU baseball hires third assistant coach

spiubasebrief090519

Casey Dykes was among the biggest advocates for a NCAA rule change to allow for the third baseball assistant to be paid. 

But his final moment with the Hoosiers will be being pulled away from an umpire after the final out at Jim Patterson Field in Louisville, moments after a controversial third strike call ended the Hoosiers' season. 

Dykes took a job with the New York Yankees organization Tuesday. He’ll now be paid for his work. 

IU head coach Jeff Mercer filled the opening on his coaching staff today, hiring Derek Simmons as his third assistant. 

"Derek and I have been good friends for 10 years," Mercer said in an IU Athletics press release. "I've always admired and respected his work ethic and baseball acumen. He's a man of the highest integrity and shares our passion for player development. Derek has been extremely successful everywhere he's been and we're fortunate to have him and his family joining Indiana Baseball."’

Simmons was previously an assistant coach at Kent State University, a position he’s held since 2017. Kent State won the Mid-American Conference regular season and conference tournament title in 2018. 

He also served as the recruiting coordinator where he helped built Kent State’s class which was ranked as the 25th best in the nation according to the website Collegiate Baseball. 

Simmons will work with hitters, infielders and base runners.

“I would like to thank Jeff Mercer and Indiana University for giving me this incredible opportunity to be a part of Hoosier baseball,” Simmons said in an IU Athletics press release.

Simmons has also spent time coaching at the University of Alabama and Kennesaw State University, which Simmons helped coach to a 2014 Super Regional appearance. 

Simmons will join the team whos fall season begins Oct. 1 with a scrimmage at Bart Kaufman Field.