Bloomington bus kills pedestrian Thursday

<p>Bloomington police officers take down caution tape Sept. 26 after a woman was struck and killed by a bus outside the Bloomington Transit Center.</p>

Bloomington police officers take down caution tape Sept. 26 after a woman was struck and killed by a bus outside the Bloomington Transit Center.

A woman was struck and killed by a Bloomington Transit bus around 11:44 a.m. Thursday at the Bloomington Transit Center.

As the bus was leaving the station, it hit the pedestrian just south of Third Street and Walnut Street, according to a press release from Bloomington Police Department Captain Ryan Pedigo.

Bloomington Transit is cooperating in BPD’s investigation as well as conducting its own, said Lew May, general manager of Bloomington Transit.

Both investigations are ongoing, and May said the groups will review footage of the accident to see exactly what happened.

BPD is using crash reconstructionists in its investigation and doesn’t suspect foul play, according to the press release.

Walnut Street was closed from around 11:45 a.m. to 1:00 p.m, according to the press release. Police tape sectioned off the end of the Bloomington Transit Center closest to Walnut Street. 

The identity of the deceased woman has not yet been released. 

This story will be updated.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.