administration

Bicentennial year brings IU’s largest and most diverse class

cafreshman091919.jpg

IU just welcomed the largest and most diverse class the university has ever seen, according to an IU press release.The official university census places freshman enrollment at IU-Bloomington at 8,291 for the fall of 2019. 

All seven of the IU campuses have also set records for enrollment of minority students. Nearly 20 percent of entering students are from underrepresented minority populations, said John Nieto-Phillips, vice provost for diversity and inclusion. This lends to the total number of minority students on all seven IU campuses, which exceeds 22,000. 

Over 9,000 of these students are studying at IU-Bloomington, the most of any Indiana campus, according to an IU press release. 

“We can never do enough to work on those numbers and we are hoping to set that goal again for a fourth consecutive year," said IU spokesperson Chuck Carney. "We are trying to be more representative of the state as a whole and bring in more students from diverse backgrounds." 

Although IU-Bloomington and IUPUI are bringing in record-breaking enrollment numbers, total enrollment across all IU campuses has fallen .8% from the fall of 2018 with a total of 90,754 students enrolled across Indiana, according to a press release from the IU Newsroom.

"At a time of heightened competition for the best students, Indiana University continues to be a highly sought college option, especially for Indiana residents," IU President Michael A. McRobbie said. "These figures are testament to our determined efforts to ensure that the quality education we offer is accessible and affordable for qualified students from all backgrounds. We are especially proud of our record number of minority students, who make up more than a quarter of IU's total enrollment.”