student life

Beta Theta Pi’s house vacant to address concerns of 'improper care'

cabtp090919

The Beta Theta Pi fraternity house located at 1100 N. Jordan Ave. is unoccupied for the 2019-2020 school year due to concerns of "improper care."

Last spring, the chapter’s house corporation announced it would be closed, according to an email from Beta Theta Pi national spokesperson Justin Warren.

The statement said alumni made the decision because of “improper care of the property by the undergraduate members.” It also said the decision is a “safeguard against potential risk management concerns.”

Both Warren and the local Beta Theta Pi chapter declined to clarify what “improper care” and “risk management concerns” meant and what renovations were being done.

Though the chapter was placed on deferred suspension last December, the house’s vacancy is not university-sanctioned, IU spokesperson Chuck Carney said.

Carney said IU’s chapter of Beta Theta Pi is on deferred suspension due to “dishonest conduct, endangering others, hazing, alcohol and non-compliance with the Greek Organization Agreement.”Organizations on deferred suspension have broken a rule but have shown they’re taking steps to address the issue.

Thomas Nardicchio, president of the IU chapter, said in an email that not living in the house would help them to reevaluate the chapter culture.

“Our priority, for now, is reestablishing our chapter norms and being a positive member of Indiana's greek community," the statement said.

Nardicchio said the house is undergoing renovations this year, leaving the fraternity unhoused, but members will move back into the house next fall.