sports men's soccer

Three takeaways from IU men's soccer tie with Seattle

spiumssidebar090819.jpg

Dominant defensive performances from both sides of the field gave the No. 2 Hoosiers their first tie in another double overtime game. IU and Seattle University’s offense walked away with zeros. 

All four games this season now have gone into overtime for IU men’s soccer. No golden goal came for IU head coach Todd Yeagley’s offense Sunday, and the team is now 3-0-1. 

Despite having a goal elude the Hoosiers, here are three takeaways from their final game at the Mike Berticelli Tournament in South Bend, Indiana.

Lockdown Defense in Regulation Play

For the first time all season, IU did not allow a goal in both regulation periods. It was also the only time where its opponent did not score first or in the first period. 

The Redhawks took three shots in the first period, but none caused IU senior goalkeeper Sean Caufield to make a play.

Two corner kicks also availed to nothing as the IU defensive unit of senior defender Jordan Kleyn, senior defender Simon Waever, junior defender A.J. Palazzolo and sophomore defender Jack Maher cleared the ball from the goal box with ease. 

IU’s defense in the second half was just as locked in, allowing only two shot attempts. Caulfield saved a shot from Seattle’s senior midfielder Hamish Ritchie in the 68th minute, the only one of five shot attempts that IU’s goalkeeper had to save in regulation.

Defense Continued: Sean Caufield’s First Shutout

2019 is Caulfield’s first full season protecting the net. After the senior surrendered two goals to the University of Pittsburgh and one to the University of California at Los Angeles and to Denver University, he finally gave an opponent the goose egg. 

Caulfield saved the Hoosiers with a diving stop to block Redhawk sophomore defender Nkosi Burgess’ shot in the 101st minute. Four minutes later, the IU goalkeeper blocked another shot on goal, this time from Seattle’s sophomore midfielder Hal Uderitz.

The Florida native rejected three total shots on goal out of the 11 taken by the Redhawks. His communication with the defense on Seattle’s eight corner kicks and offensive plays prevented Seattle from handing IU its first loss.

IU has led the NCAA in shutouts back-to-back seasons and finally earned its first clean sheet of 2019. Former IU goalkeeper Trey Muse, last season’s Big Ten goalkeeper of the year, left a legacy to keep, and Caulfield is finally embracing his position in Muse’s cleats. 

Missed Opportunities

Seattle’s defenders were ruthless throughout, earning five yellow cards and even a red card in the last minute of double overtime. Nevertheless, the IU offense could not put things together to create shot opportunities for the team. 

Yeagley’s offense took eight shots, yet only one required Seattle’s sophomore goalkeeper Akili Kasim to save a shot on goal. Additionally, only one of those IU shots came in the overtime periods. 

The Hoosiers also had seven corner kicks in overtime, but none failed to convert. 

IU has a nine-day break before resuming play against the University of Notre Dame on Sept. 17 at home. These teams did not clash this weekend but saw plenty of each other before going one-on-one next week.